We want to help you master Control Center, one of the most powerful and underutilized features on Apple devices. Cult of Mac’s Control Center Pro Tips series will show you how to make the most of this useful toolbox on iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and Mac.
On iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and Mac, the Control Center puts vital tools at your fingertips. And while most people probably are familiar with some preset options, like Airplane Mode and Do Not Disturb, a world of customization awaits anyone willing to spend a few minutes digging deeper into this underutilized tool set.
All week long, we’ll show you how to get the most out of Control Center — and thus squeeze even more sweet utility out of your Apple devices. With this series of quick and simple Control Center tips, we’ll show you how to add useful buttons that make common tasks easier than ever.
Control Center pro tips
Did you know that activating Low Power Mode, toggling between dark and light themes, scanning a QR code, and starting a screen recording can all be done with just one tap inside Control Center?
And these are just some of the many things you can do with the right Control Center toggles. We’ll show you how to set them up — and teach you other useful tricks that no Apple user should be without, in a variety of topics:
Access handy tools on iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and Mac
- Ping a lost iPhone from Apple Watch
- Start a screen recording on iPhone and iPad
- Identify any song in an instant
- Make iPhone’s Calculator app easy to access
- Quickly scan a QR code
- Turn your iPhone, iPad or Apple Watch into a flashlight
- Quickly capture voice memos
- Easily manage Bluetooth devices
- Activate Live Listen for AirPods and Powerbeats
- Switch between AirPods audio modes
Apple Watch-specific tips
Tweak your system settings on iPhone, iPad and Mac
- Toggle Dark Mode with just a tap
- Adjust system text sizes on the fly
- Switch Wi-Fi networks in a snap
- Toggle the True Tone display mode
- Quickly adjust MacBook keyboard brightness
- Save your battery with Low Power mode
Apple TV-specific tips
Privacy and security tips
- Block access to Control Center when iPhone and iPad are locked
- Deactivate AirDrop so others can’t see you
- Get some peace with Do Not Disturb mode
Many of these tricks will negate the need to dig around inside the Settings app every time you want to change common preferences. Others will allow you to rid your Home screen of unnecessary icons.