Season three of Ted Lasso arrived today — but you might need a refresher on where the most critically acclaimed show on Apple TV+ left off. Here’s a quick summary of the first two seasons.
I recorded two conversations with aspiring film critic and personal friend, Russell Davis, discussing the plot points and themes of seasons one and two. You can watch these videos below to catch yourself up for today’s premiere.
Ted Lasso season 1 recap
In season one, American football coach Ted Lasso has his work cut out for him as he navigates a sport he has a tenuous grasp of and a minefield of workplace sabotage.
- Rebecca Welton, AFC Richmond club owner, enlists Ted Lasso as the new head coach of her team. She secretly hopes that Ted’s lack of experience will tank the team as a means of spiting her ex-husband, the former owner.
- Ted dodges many of the bullets Rebecca throws his way by charming everyone he meets.
- Two players that carry the team, Roy Kent and Jamie Tartt, butt heads and refuse to work together.
- Keeley Jones, Jamie’s girlfriend, leaves Jamie for Roy.
- Ted’s wife back home asks him for a divorce, causing Ted to have panic attacks.
- Rebecca comes clean to Ted about sabotaging the team — but she isn’t ready for him to forgive her so quickly.
- In the final few minutes of a critical game, Richmond is relegated from the Premiere League to the second tier of English football.
Ted Lasso season 2 recap
Ted Lasso’s second season tugs and pulls at the relationships among everyone in the beloved ensemble cast. All the while, Richmond struggles to climb out of the Championship League.
- Ted grapples with panic attacks and mental health struggles, while he resists opening up to the team’s new sports psychologist, Dr. Sharon Fieldstone.
- Roy Kent struggles to find his place in his retirement from the sport — jumping from coaching elementary girls’ football to joining a panel of pundits on TV to finding his way back home coaching for Richmond.
- Jamie Tartt struggles to fit in after Ted brings him back to the team against the other players’ wishes.
- Nate feels like he isn’t being respected as assistant coach. So he leaks the truth about Ted’s panic attacks to reporter Trent Crimm.
- Rebecca, using a dating app, inadvertently finds herself in a relationship with Richmond player Sam Obisanya.
- Ted warms up to Sharon — just as her contract with the team is up.
- Nate, feeling unappreciated, quits the team. He becomes head coach of West Ham United, now owned by Rebecca’s ex, Rupert Mannion.
The first episode of season three is out today — you can check out our recap of that here. Apple TV+ will release new episodes of Ted Lasso every Wednesday in a 12-episode season.