This week on The CultCast: We watched See, The Morning Show and For All Mankind — here are our spoiler-free snap reviews of Apple’s new TV shows! Plus: The one part of Apple TV+ that needs a total overhaul; and Apple’s HomePod update includes a new hidden talent.
Our thanks to NETGEAR for supporting this episode. The Orbi WiFi 6 router gives you ultra-fast speeds and wider coverage throughout your home — it’s the biggest revolution in Wi-Fi ever. Check it out today at your local Best Buy and at Netgear.com/bestwifi6.
The CultCast Episode #413
Our Apple TV+ shows spoiler-free reviews!
On the show this week:
This week’s stories
Apple TV+ blesses us with highest-quality 4K streams — Cult of Mac
- Apple’s new service streams the highest-quality 4K content yet. Better than all the rest.
- That’s according to new tests that measure the bitrate of video streams. They reveal See has the highest bitrate so far, closely followed by The Elephant Queen.
- See’s average bitrate of 29 Mbps, which can peak to 41 Mbps, is the highest measured so far. The Elephant Queen averages around 26 Mbps, while Dickinson peaks at around 24 Mbps.
- The idea of the TV app, introduced in 2016, was to combine all the TV shows and movies from all of the apps and unify the viewing experience into a single interface, with a combined Up Next queue.
How to play relaxing, ambient sounds with your HomePod — Cult of Mac
- How about a nice, relaxing rainstorm to help you fall asleep? Or some white noise to fill the space left by your grownup children when they left you behind to start their own lives? If you have a HomePod running iOS 13.2 or later, your smart speaker stands ready to help blank out the soul-bleeding silence of your empty life. You just need to ask.