Essentially the Garage Band of coding, smart iPad coding editor Codea has received a major update.
Adding a new iOS 7 interface and full 64-bit support for the iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display, Codea 2.0 also includes “a brand new unified asset system that supports sounds, music, images, and more,” according to developer Two Lives Left.
There’s additionally a new audio API for background music playing, three new sound and music packs designed to be used in games, a new Location API (for accessing an iOS device’s location data), added find and replace tool, and additional Bluetooth keyboard shortcuts.
Most significantly, however, Two Lives Left, has revamped the code editor — making it easier than ever to use courtesy of advanced auto-completion and live errors.
A full list of features can be seen below:
• Redesigned for iOS 7
• Full 64-bit support
• Codea now features a brand new unified asset system that supports sounds, music, images and more
• Music API for playing background music in popular formats
• Three fantastic new sound and music packs for you to use in your games — composed especially for Codea
Completely New Code Editor
• Intelligent autocomplete picks up all your variables, locals and nested types
• In-line errors show up live as you code
• Smart indentation and scope completion
• Most editor keys can be long-pressed for more options
• Support for multi-line comments
• Fix your code layout with the new Re-Indent feature
• Find and Replace: access via the search button on the keyboard
• Location API: access GPS data in Codea
• displayMode(OVERLAY): use this for a transparent sidebar in your projects
• Codea now uses double precision floating point
• Projects can be sorted by recently opened, or by name
• Z-level supported in setContext
• Bluetooth Keyboard Shortcut support (see Getting Started section for a full list)
• Codea has lost weight: Codea 2.0 is 23 MB, compared with 36 MB for the old version
• Air Code respects your editor theme choice (light or dark)
• Shader Lab can bind arrays, and will tell you about failed bindings
• Shader compilation errors are printed as warnings in your projects
• Dark keyboard style for dark theme
• Many, many fixes. Including the wrapped line issue in code editor
Codea is available from the App Store, priced $9.99.
- Source iTunes