The $3,499 price of Vision Pro, the long-awaited AR/VR headset Apple rolled out at WWDC23, startles some people. You can find audience reaction videos out there with audible gasps when the price was announced (including among Apple employees, some posts claim). And mainstream headlines are joining in, too.
And of course social media hasn’t let up on the jokey memes. See below for a few choice examples.
Headlines and memes flood social media over Vision Pro’s $3,499 price tag
Whether you think Vision Pro selling for $3,499 when it comes out is crazy expensive or actually kind of a bargain — considering what you get and what past major Apple product intros have cost — is a matter for your consideration.
Here are just some of the mainstream headlines dwelling on the price:
- Price tag of Apple’s newly unveiled ‘Vision Pro’ headset draws mockery — New York Post
- Is Apple Vision Pro worth it? price, availability, what it does, more — USA Today
- Apple Unveils $3,500 Vision Pro Headset: Will It Finally Push Virtual Reality Into the Mainstream — or Is It a Pricey Toy? — Variety
- Apple Vision Pro $3499 price reveal prompts groans, sighs and laughter — Business Insider
- How Apple’s Vision Pro compares with the Meta Quest Pro, beyond a huge price gap — MarketWatch
Maybe gags will get you over the sticker shock?
And lots of folks on social media continue to turn to humor to get over the sticker shock. We covered this earlier with a different set of jokey memes, but they just keep coming.
Check these out:
First, some crowd reaction to the price announcement. Added in a reply is a key, and no doubt pricey, accessory:
Can’t unsee it pic.twitter.com/sK26neFScI
— Koinly (@koinly) June 6, 2023
Consider taking out a “mortgage” to buy Vision Pro, complete with horrendous interest rate:
Got my loan approved on my VisionPro!
Just 240 simple monthly payments of $27.13
Literally *a steal* pic.twitter.com/RbOroaY3K0
— gaut (@0xgaut) June 6, 2023
And replies followed that tweet. First, there’s no cooler way to watch your portfolio bottom out:
Nice you can now watch your portfolio go down in a cool way pic.twitter.com/ZX4eoTA0XM
— Satoshi Club (@esatoshiclub) June 6, 2023
And don’t forget the overpriced accessories! An Apple Snorkel would be $900, probably:
U need this as well pic.twitter.com/wK4hIRTWUk
— marc friedrich (@marcfriedrich7) June 6, 2023
Gordon Ramsey gets in on the act with a little tough love over you even contemplating the purchase:
— Adrian Elmaze (@adrianelmaze) June 6, 2023
Other replies on the “mortgage” thread:
- I mean it’ll basically pay for itself because you can just downsize to living in a deluxe portapotty with a hotplate
- Oh no! It fell down. Only 3k to fix the broken lens
- By the time you pay it off they’ll be up to Apple Vision Pro version 10 (assuming they update it every two years).
- That’s a used car , I’ll wait till the 3rd one to come out before I get the 1st one Just like I do the phones
- I am sure on the day of launch people will be scrambling to pay cash and be the first owners. As is with all Apple products.
In other threads, what is Vision Pro but an updated View Master from your (parents’) childhood?
— Chris Gambino (@chrisgambino) June 6, 2023
And here’s a realistic cartoon reaction that hits price-shock on the head:
The best apple vision pro meme yet pic.twitter.com/ybBJUKoRW8
— Bodil40 (@bodil40) June 7, 2023
After all, it’s a lot to spend on something so potentially breakable:
And while what it does with spreadsheets is sick, is it really worth it?
And finally, this tweet joke presumes everyone will buy Vision Pro anyway (at least those who go to certain kinds of parties):
POV: you're at a tech party in 2024 and walk in without your goggles pic.twitter.com/ODbEGvVtrA
— gaut (@0xgaut) June 7, 2023