Two of the best-loved shows on Apple TV+ — Severance and Ted Lasso — took home honors over the weekend from the Hollywood Critics Association TV Awards.
Severance won five awards, including Best Drama, and Ted Lasso won two awards, including Best Comedy. Apple TV+ topped all streaming services with 53 nominations overall.
<em>Severance</em> and <em>Ted Lasso</em> rake in awards from Hollywood critics
Apple CEO Tim Cook took to Twitter to offer congratulations for the wins, saying, “Proud of the Richmond footballers and Lumon’s macrodata refiners (and their outies, too).”
He referred, of course, to the Ted Lasso‘s fictional Premiere League soccer team, Richmond United, and Severance‘s weird company, Lumon Industries, and the department the main characters work in.
“Outies” refers to their personas outside of work, where they remain unaware of the work their “innies” do during the day because of the voluntary brain surgery the company offers. (Stephen Colbert describes the show well in a hilarious parody, which is worth a watch.)
Congratulations to the incredible cast and crew behind Severance and Ted Lasso on @AppleTVPlus for winning Best Drama and Best Comedy at tonight’s Hollywood Critics Association TV Awards! Proud of the Richmond footballers and Lumon’s macrodata refiners (and their outies, too).
— Tim Cook (@tim_cook) August 15, 2022
53 nominations for Apple TV+
Apple TV+ scored a record 53 nominations in the awards, including a dozen apiece for Severance and Ted Lasso.
“Apple TV+ today was recognized as the most-winning streaming service by the Hollywood Critics Association Streaming TV Awards, scoring seven wins,” Apple TV+ said in a press release.
Those seven wins included five for Severance (more than any other series):
- Best Streaming Series, Drama
- Best Writing in a Streaming Series, Drama. The award went to Dan Erikson.
- Best Directing in a Streaming Series, Drama. Ben Stiller, who also executive produces, received the honor.
- Best Supporting Actor in a Streaming Series, Drama. John Turturro got it for his role as “Irving B.”
- Best Actress in a Streaming Series, Drama: Britt Lower as “Helly R.” (tied with Laura Linney from Ozark on Netflix)
The other two wins went to award-magnet Ted Lasso:
- Best Streaming Series, Comedy
- Best Supporting Actor in a Streaming Series, Comedy: Brett Goldstein, as footballer Roy Kent.
The awards ceremony took place Saturday at the Beverly Hilton in Los Angeles.
Apple TV+ is available for $4.99 per month with a seven-day free trial or via any tier of the Apple One subscription bundle.