iPhone users can now download iOS 14.7. The update, released Monday, adds reverse wireless charging to the iPhone 12 series, albeit in a limited way. It also includes some promised improvements to the Apple Card, and allows users to manage timers on a HomePod.
In addition, Apple released watchOS 7.6.
Reverse wireless charging for Apple MagSafe Battery Pack
A highlight of iOS 14.7 is support for Apple’s new MagSafe Battery Pack. This only applies to the iPhone 12 series, of course, as these are the only MagSafe-compatible handsets. The update allows the handsets to wirelessly charge the accessory — the first time an iPhone has been able to do reverse wireless charging. But there’s no word yet of the handset being able to charge any other device in the same way.
In addition, Monday’s software update adds new features for Apple Card Family, which allows a family to share the credit card. The new iOS version enables two cardholders to combine their credit limits and share one co-owned account.
And watchOS 7.6, too
Apple Watch owners got an update as well. watchOS 7.6 doesn’t include new features for most users. But it does add support for the ECG built into recent Apple Watch models to 30 more countries.
Get iOS 14.7 or watchOS 7.6 now
Install iOS 14.7 by connecting to a Mac, or to a PC running iTunes. Alternatively, an over-the-air update is also possible. That’s accomplished by opening the Settings app and going to General > Software Update.
This is possibly the last update before Apple introduces iOS 15 this autumn.
It’s possible to install Monday’s update directly onto the Apple Watch, as long as the wearable is connected to Wi-Fi. From the Settings app, navigate to General > Software Update. Then tap Download and Install. Alternatively, this update can be installed from an iPhone by opening the Apple Watch app and going to My Watch > General > Software Update.
Official iOS 14.7 release notes
Apple’s release notes include all the changes — major and minor — in Monday’s update.
iOS 14.7 includes the following improvements and bug fixes for your iPhone:
- MagSafe Battery Pack support for iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max
- Apple Card Family adds the option to combine credit limits and share one co-owned account with an existing Apple Card user
- Home app adds the ability to manage timers on HomePod
- Air quality information is now available in Weather and Maps for Canada, France, Italy, Netherlands, South Korea, and Spain
- Podcasts library allows you to choose to see all shows or only followed shows
- Share playlist menu option missing in Apple Music
- Dolby Atmos and Apple Music lossless audio playback may unexpectedly stop
- Battery service message that may have disappeared after reboot on some iPhone 11 models is restored
- Braille displays could show invalid information while composing Mail messages
Official watchOS 7.6 release notes
There are also release notes for Monday’s Apple Watch update.
watchOS 7.6 includes new features, improvements, and bug fixes, including:
- Support for the ECG app on Apple Watch Series 4 or later in 30 additional regions. For a list of available regions, visit: https://www.apple.com/watchos/feature-availability/
- Support for irregular heart rhythm notifications in 30 additional regions. For a list of available regions, visit: https://www.apple.com/watchos/feature-availability/