To be fair, when Redditor No-Top-5065 posted pics of their MacBook Air-based computer setup, they asked for suggestions on how to improve it.
“Any recommendation on how can I improve my desk setup? Not into gaming, work and study most of the time,” said the post’s headline.
This post contains affiliate links. Cult of Mac may earn a commission when you use our links to buy items.
Well, if they’re not into gaming, work or study, what are you supposed to suggest? Oh, wait. They meant they’re not into gaming. They work and study most of the time. Got it. Sorry, No-Top-5065. We’re all critics. Or grammarians.
Most setup fans on Reddit are nice, and they had a lot of good suggestions anyone might consider. Also, they’re detail-oriented. Multiple commenters focused on the need for a coaster under a drinking glass on the desk.
Here are 28 ways to make it better
Stuff to consider buying and adding:
- Second monitor
- Ultrawide monitor
- Monitor arm
- Monitor light bar
- Laptop stand to keep the MacBook Air open as a second monitor
- Laptop stand to place it further out of the way
- Laptop arm
- Wireless mouse, such as Logitech MX series (with programmable buttons for improved workflow)
- BT mouse
- More ergonomic keyboard
- Keychron K2 wireless keyboard
- Magic Keyboard with Touch ID (when available for non-M1 Macs)
- Pair of bookshelf studio monitors / speakers
- Better headphones in general
- Headphone stand or hook (to get the cans off the desk)
- Headphone amplifier / digital-to-analog converter (DAC)
- USB dock for networking
- Bias light to place behind the monitor (to help with eye strain)
- An eyeglass holder (to minimize damage to the specs and clutter)
- Coaster for that glass of tea
Other changes to consider:
- Elevate the screen with some sort of shelf or stand
- Use the MacBook Air as a second display (even without a stand)
- Decorative lighting
- Paint the walls
- Move the desk to the right
- Swap the blue light and the desk lamp positioning
- Get a more robust adapter for the plugs in the wall outlet (not pictured)
Shop these items now:
Computer and peripherals:
- 2019 MacBook Air (8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD)
- Magic Keyboard
- Dell 27-inch IPS monitor
- Logitech G Pro Gaming Mouse
Furniture, lighting and accessories:
If you would like to see your setup featured on Cult of Mac, send some high-res pictures to email@example.com. Please provide a detailed list of your equipment. Tell us what you like or dislike about your setup, and fill us in on any special touches or challenges.