A pair of swallowed AirPods, still inside their charging case, were successfully extracted from a puppy — without damage to either dog or hearables.
UK-based owner Rachel Hick, from Hull, rushed her golden retriever Jimmy to the vets after it swallowed the wireless earbuds and charging case on Easter Sunday.
“[Jimmy] was jumping up and running around going crazy, he was so hyped up and excited,” Hick told the Hull Daily Mail. “As he jumped, he knocked my AirPods out of my pocket and they fell on the floor, and before I even realised they’d dropped on the floor, he’d eaten them whole. He looked up at me straight after and gave me a look as if to say ‘that wasn’t the treat, was it?’ My heart sank.”
The vet carried out an x-ray which showed the AirPods case, still intact, inside the dog’s digestive system. Due to concern over battery acid from the case leaking, it was agreed that they would operate. Not only was the surgery a resounding success, but the AirPods were removed without a scratch on them.
“It’s certainly a cautionary tale for other dog owners,” said Hick. “I can’t believe the AirPods still work; they’ve had a good clean!”
Accidentally eating AirPods
This isn’t the first time that AirPods have been accidentally ingested (although, as far as I’m aware, this is the first time it’s happened while they were in their charging case.) A couple of years back, an unlucky Taiwanese man, named Ben Hsu, fell asleep wearing his AirPods. He woke up to find one had gone missing and, when he used the “Find My” app on his iPhone, heard a beeping sound coming from inside his stomach.
For what it’s worth, AirPods can have a strangely alluring smell to them. Some people have reported that they smell of blueberries, likely due to the presence of chemical compounds used as part of the manufacturing process. Still, just because your AirPods smell nice doesn’t mean you should be tempted to gobble them. And that’s a message worth sharing with your dog, too.