AirPod survives trip through man who swallowed it

By

AirPods sales
Do not eat your AirPods.
Photo: Ste Smith/Cult of Mac

Apple may need to update the specs for AirPods to include one new surprising feature: “stomach-proof”.

One unlucky Taiwanese man discovered this the hard way. After falling asleep, Ben Hsu woke up with one of his AirPods missing. Using Find My iPhone to track down the missing earbud, he started hearing a beeping sound that followed him around the room and realized he made a serious mistake. The AirPod was in his stomach.

“I checked under my blanket and looked around but couldn’t find it – then I realized the sound was coming from my stomach,” Ben Hsu told Daily Mail.

poppy airpod
Ben Hsu holding his poopy AirPod after digging it out of the toilet.
Photo: Ben Hsu/Asia Wire

It’s not clear how Hsu managed to swallow the AirPod without noticing, but he quickly went to the hospital to get confirmation that it was inside him, even though he didn’t experience any discomfort. X-rays revealed that Hsu AirPod was working its way through his digestive system. If it didn’t work its way out of his digestive system and he would need surgery if it didn’t come out naturally. Doctors sent him home with laxatives, which is where the story takes a disgusting turn.

Hsu had to inspect his feces for the AirPod. The next day while relieving himself at a train station he found the missing AirPod. Miraculously, it still worked and had 41% battery. Personally, I would’ve tossed it in the trash instead of putting it in my ear after that, but when you’ve spent $160 for wireless earbuds, you might as well not waste them I guess.

The AirPod’s protective plastic coating saved him from seriously rupturing his intestine, according to the emergency room doctor that treated him. Hsu says his experience with the AirPod was “magical”, but we doubt Apple will ever use his raving testimonial.