Macs everywhere can now upgrade to macOS Catalina 10.15.4. This adds iCloud Drive folder sharing as well as Apple Music time-synced lyrics and other enhancements.
Collaborate with iCloud Drive folder sharing
iCloud file sharing was already part of macOS, allowing multiple people to work with a single document stored on Apple’s cloud-storage service. Today’s operating system update expands that to entire folders.
Apple today posted a how-to on iCloud Drive folder sharing for Mac.
This feature also just debuted in iPadOS 13.4 and the iPhone equivalent.
Have fun with the Apple Music’s time-synced lyrics
Mac users can enjoy the Apple Music time-synced lyrics, which gives users scrolling, karaoke-style song lyrics. The feature lets users follow what’s being sung in real-time as the songs play.
This feature debuted in iOS 13 last autumn. Now Apple is bringing it to macOS users as well.
Screen Time Communications Limits too
Screen Time helps parents control how much time their children spend on their devices. macOS Catalina 10.15.4 adds additional options. “Communication Limits let you control who your children can communicate with and who can communicate with them throughout the day and during downtime,” explained Apple.
During the day, parents can limit a child to communicating with FaceTime and Messages only with people in the Contacts app. At night, the child can be restricted to talking with people on a shorter list, like only their parents.
This is another feature that came first to iOS and is now expanding to Mac.
Apple’s official macOS Catalina 10.15.4 release notes
macOS Catalina 10.15.4 introduces iCloud Drive folder sharing, Screen Time communications limits, Apple Music time-synced lyrics view, and more. The update also improves the stability, reliability, and security of your Mac.
- iCloud Drive folder sharing from Finder
- Controls to limit access only to people you explicitly invite or grant access to anyone with the folder link
- Permissions to choose who can make changes and upload files and who can only view and download files
- Communication limits for controlling who your children can communicate with and be contacted by throughout the day and during downtime
- Playback control of music videos for your children
- Time-synced lyrics view for Apple Music, including the ability to jump to your favorite part of a song by clicking a line in lyrics view
- Option to import Chrome passwords into your iCloud Keychain for easy AutoFill of your passwords in Safari and across all your devices
- Controls for duplicating a tab and for closing all tabs to the right of the current tab
- HDR playback support on compatible computers for Netflix content
App Store with Apple Arcade
- Universal Purchase support enables the use of a singular purchase of a participating app across iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV
- Recently played Arcade games appear in the Arcade tab so you can continue playing on iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV
Pro Display XDR
Customized reference modes that you can tailor to specific workflow needs by selecting from several color gamut, white point, luminance, and transfer function options
- Head pointer preference for moving a cursor on the screen based on the precise movements of your head
This update also includes bug fixes and other improvements.
- High Dynamic Range output to HDR10-compatible third-party displays and TVs connected with DisplayPort or HDMI
- OAuth authentication support with Outlook.com accounts for improved security
- CalDav migration support when upgrading to iCloud reminders on a secondary device
- Resolves an issue where text copied between apps may appear invisible when Dark Mode is active
- Fixes an issue in Safari where a CAPTCHA tile may display incorrectly
- Resolves an issue where Reminders may send notifications for completed reminders
- Fixes an issue with screen brightness for the LG UltraFine 5K display after waking from sleep