This week on The CultCast: Finally — new evidence shows that a Mac refresh is right around the corner. Plus: MacBook Pro is about to get the feature we’ve all been wanting; Apple is rebuilding its Maps app from the ground up, and it looks magnificent; Apple’s new Seattle flagship store is stunning; and we pitch a wood-wrapped iPhone case, waterproof camping lights, and a great new reading app in an all-new Under Review!
Our thanks to Squarespace for supporting this episode. It’s simple to accept Apple Pay and sell your wares with your very own Squarespace website. Enter offer code CultCast at checkout to get 10% off your first hosting plan or domain.
CultCast #343 – Mac refresh incoming!
Our Twitters, if you please:
@erfon / @bst3r / @lewiswallace
This week’s stories
- Apple has this week registered new iPads and Macs with the Eurasian Economic Commission (EEC). The filings hint that a big refresh could be just around the corner.
- Five new Macs with the model numbers has been registered with the commission.
- Apple may soon be planning to upgrade the MacBook Pro line to the latest generation of Intel processors. Benchmarks for a macOS laptop running a “Coffee Lake” chip showed up on Geekbench.
- Why’s that exciting? More cores and a huge 40-50% increase in multitasking performance.
- For the last 4 years, Apple has been working on totally rebuilding Apple Maps, in an effort to make it the best maps app in the world.
- They now have hundreds of map editors working furiously, and thousands of employees.
Our Under Review picks