This week on The CultCast, we reveal not five, not 10, but 18 of the best gadgets of the year! Plus: The Amazon Prime Video is finally available for your Apple TV, and we’ll tell you everything you need to know about iOS 11’s new Apple Pay Cash feature.
Our thanks to Squarespace for supporting this episode. It’s simple to accept Apple Pay and sell your wares with your very own Squarespace.com website. Enter offer code CultCast at checkout to get 10% off any hosting plan.
CultCast #313 – All the best gadgets of 2017!
Subscribe on iTunes
Our Twitters, if you please
@bst3r / @erfon / @lkahney / @lewiswallace
Join us on Reddit to discuss episodes and vote on story topics for future episodes! TheCultCast.reddit.com
This week’s links
- All iPhone X models up for sale on Apple’s online store are showing delivery in a week, down from 2-3 weeks two weeks ago.
- KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said supply chain improvements were to thank for Apple’s improved iPhone X ship times, specifically a diversification of LCP LTE antenna orders and higher yields of iPhone’s TrueDepth dot projector.
Everything you need to know about Apple Pay Cash
- Used to pay people via the Messages app, though you can also use your Apple Pay Cash card to make Apple Pay payments if you have money on the card (card lives in your Apple Wallet)
- You can add cash to your card by receiving payments, or adding cash in the wallet app (minimum $10). This is one in the Wallet app. Just select the card then press the little “i” at the bottom right of the screen
- Money paid to you will live on your Apple Pay Cash card until you use it or transfer it to your bank.
- Debit cards let you send money for free, while credit cards cost 3%
- You can send money via Siri to people in your contacts
- You can send/receive a minimum of $1-$3,000 in a transaction, and can send/receive up to $10,000 in any 7 day period.
- Apple has finally delivered on its WWDC promise to bring Amazon Prime Video to Apple TV, with just a few weeks to spare before Apple hit its own end-of-the-year deadline.
- The tvOS version of the app is available to download on Apple TV 3rd generation devices or above by searching “Amazon Prime Video” on your set-top box. It brings an end to the days of having to use AirPlay to play Amazon Prime Video on your Apple TV, via another device.
Listener email: Why are we “so hard” on Apple? (discussion)
Best gadgets of 2017!
- Apple Wifi connected to a Amazon Echo dot
- Sonos Playbase tv speaker
- Amazon Echo Show
- See sense bicycle lights
- Wahoo Element GPS bicycle computer
- Nokia Body Plus smart scale
- Hunter Symphony Homkit Fan
- Fender GT 200 iOS controlled smart guitar amp
- Fender GT 100
- Fender GT 40
- Rhinoshield Crashguard bumper case for iPhone X
- For iPhone 8
- Arlo Pro 2 smart security cameras
- Arlo Q indoor camera
- My 2013 MacBook Pro!
- Amplify HD mesh router
- Koogeek Homekit smart bulb
- Koogeek Homekit smart plug
- Omna 180 smart homekit camera
- Litter Robot 3 executive cat bathroom