The Tweetbot for Mac saga continues, and this time the guys at Tapbots have come out of left field to release the official beta of their Mac client. The app is available for free now, but there’s a catch: you have to already be a Tweetbot user.
Multiple updates have been released for the alpha version of Tweetbot for Mac, but Tapbots announced earlier this week that it would be discontinuing public testing of the app before it officially launched in the Mac App Store.
Twitter has forced developers like Tapbots to obey a new user cap restriction. You can read more about the new rules from Twitter here.
A lot of our Tweetbot for Mac Alpha users have worried about what’s going to happen to them now that the Alpha has been pulled. A few folks have suggested that we release a new version but without the ability to add any new accounts, we thought it was a good idea and have done that.
You can download the beta for free on the Tapbots website. In order to keep in line with Twitter’s restrictions, only existing Tweetbot Alpha users can update to the beta at this point.
Tweetbot for Mac (0.8.0) Change Log
- lots of bug fixes
- can paste images into new tweet window again
- can copy tweets on timeline
- can do ‘open in new column’ (they also have keyboard shortcuts)
- multi-column swiping and keyboard support much improved. Use tab shift/tab to move between columns.
- better keyboard support: status detail + many other views
- profile view: can scroll user information so can see more tweets
- drag and drop tweets has been improved
- gap loading works properly now
- context click on tweet action buttons in timeline
- did I mention we fixed a bunch of bugs too?
When Tweetbot for Mac goes on sale officially, new users will be able to use the app.
- Source Tapbots Blog