Apple has been forced to pay a couple in Tokyo, Japan, ¥600,000 (approx. $7,400) for medical fees and pain and suffering after their first-generation iPod nano spontaneously burst into flames, causing burns to the hand that took more than a month to completely heal.
The device, which was purchased back in 2005, overheated and caught fire while charging in July 2010.
The worrying thing is, this isn’t the first time this has happened to a first-generation iPod nano. The issue has been well documented throughout the years, and Apple recalled the device back 2009. Last November, the Cupertino company began a worldwide replacement program, allowing owners to trade in their first-generation unit for a free replacement.
So if you’re still clinging onto one of these explosive devices, there’s no excuse not to get it replaced. It’s free, and you’re likely to end up with a sixth-generation model — the current model — as a replacement.
When pressed for comment on this case, a representative for Apple Japan told Nikkei: “we cannot comment without confirming with our American head office.”
- Via The Verge