Apple Initiates Replacement Program for First-Gen iPod nano

By

Credit: The Consumerist
Credit: The Consumerist

Apple has initiated a replacement program for the first-generation iPod nano due to an overheating issue with the battery inside of the device. The problem was recognized by Apple several years ago and they offered replacements to customers on a case-by-case basis. A number of foreign government agencies in Europe and Asia investigated the defect and last year the Japan trade ministry forced Apple to tell customers about the replacement website on Apple’s Japanese website.

This weekend Apple started sending out emails to customers that purchased the first-generation iPod nano to tell them about the replacement program.

You should have the serial number of your iPod nano available before visiting the site, because the problem does not occur in all iPod nanos. You’ll need to verify that your iPod nano was one of the defective ones using the serial number to verify eligibility. According to Apple:

Apple has determined that, in very rare cases, the battery in the iPod nano (1st generation) may overheat and pose a safety risk. Affected iPod nanos were sold between September 2005 and December 2006,” the company wrote. “This issue has been traced to a single battery supplier that produced batteries with a manufacturing defect. While the possibility of an incident is rare, the likelihood increases as the battery ages.

Apple recommends that you stop using your first-generation iPod nano if it is eligible to be replaced and order a replacement using the provided website. If customers need help obtaining a replacement they can visit an Apple Retail Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider.  It will take about six weeks for the replacement to arrive.

The reason Apple recommends that customers stop using the first-generation iPod nano is because the longer it has been in use the more likely the overheating issue will occur. Due to the fact that these iPod nanos are about six years old you should probably take this advice and stop using it — immediately.