While Apple computers today are famous for their svelte aluminum enclosures, the company’s first machine — born way back in 1976 — was made out of wood. In a bid to bring back that look, the iStation dock attempts turns your iPad 2 into the original Apple Computer.
It’s the perfect Christmas gift for Apple fans who remember the first computer built by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak in a garage in Cupertino. Back then, the machine sold for $666.66 and featured just 4KB of memory as standard, with a 1MHz processor.
But the iStation gives you the look and feel of the Apple I with all the power of your iPad 2. It costs just over $85 from the M.I.C. Gadget store, and we think it’s great. It’s available with either a “faux woodgrain surface” or a “white pearl glossy finishing,” and features a built-in speaker.
Some of the iStation’s features, which are listed in its description, include:
- High density plywood body construction
- Faux Woodgrain Surface or White Pearl glossy finishing
- Stereo speakers with subwoofer
- Hi-fidelity stereo sound via Bluetooth or 3.5mm Stereo Line-in Jack
- Direct MP3 playback from USB Flash Drive or microSD (TransFlash) via built-in USB port / microSD slot
- Removable, portable Bluetooth keyboard (U.S. keyboard layout)
- Special function keys for music control, volume control, slideshow, home, search, etc.
- Charge your iPad / iPad 2 or keyboard using the USB port on the iStation
There is limited stock available, according to the description, so you’ll probably have to get in quick if you want one. Customer are also limited to one iStation per transaction.
- Via AppAdvice