Redditor DeviantSubrbanKid, based in the Philippines, knows how to impress a few computer setup mavens on social media. Make the workstation clean, tasteful and functional. And then add some weird or interesting touches.
This post contains affiliate links. Cult of Mac may earn a commission when you use our links to buy items.
The gear lineup: impressive but not dazzling
“Deviant” runs a 13-inch MacBook Pro with a 10th-generation Intel chip tethered to a 27-inch LG Ultragear gaming monitor. The display features a “borderless” design, 2560 x 1440 pixel resolution and a 144 Hz refresh rate.
A Keychron K2 mechanical keyboard, a Logitech 403G wireless mouse and a Magic Trackpad help with input and navigation.
Clearly, the monitor, the mechanical keyboard and the Logi mouse all suggest gaming. So, for extra fun, it’s not surprising to find an Xbox Series S in the mix.
Rounding out the equipment lineup, a CalDigit TS3 Plus Thunderbolt 3 dock and a Belkin Boost-up QI Wireless Charging Pad handle networking and charging chores.
So far, so good. That’s a list of solid, modern gear for a most likely productive person who also plays games. Or who productively plays games? Well, anyway, that’s not the setup’s whole story.
Classic and modern touches
You can have a perfectly functional setup — or even a highly functional one — and people who eat and breathe setups on social media might not have much to say. There are a lot of setup out there that are tricked out for high-performance gaming and multimedia consumption.
Barring something especially mind-blowing or weird, it’s the details that usually draw a lot of comments.
In Deviant’s setup, a few bits and pieces drew most of the admiration of other Redditors:
- The giant digital clock readout on the monitor. You see it a lot in setups. In this case, it appears to the be the fliqlo flip clock app and screensaver. It leaves very little question about what time it is.
- The rather bad-ass gamer’s chair. It’s the Secretlab Omega 2020 Dark Knight edition. Because real gamers want to feel like Batman.
- The natural wood-grain visible on the desk, which adds a classic look to a modern workstation. The pronounced striping, a la ebony wood, works well with the darker colors in the room.
- The LG Ergo stand for the monitor, which keeps the display off the desk, leaving room for other gear and decorative what-not.
- Speaking of decorative what-not, a Luffy Action Figure from Funko Pop! Anime adds a little color on the desk.
Shop these items now:
Computer and main peripherals:
- 13-inch Macbook Pro 13 (2020)
- 27-inch LG 27GN880 Ultragear Gaming Monitor with Ergo Stand
- Xbox Series S
- Keychron K2 mechanical keyboard
- Logitech G403 wireless mouse
- Magic Trackpad
Networking and charging:
Furniture and accessories:
- Oddie Series Desk
- MoKo Computer Desk Mat
- Secretlab Omega 2020 Series Dark Knight gaming chair
- GSE Cool Laptop Stand
- Luffy Action Figure
If you would like to see your setup featured on Cult of Mac, send some high-res pictures to email@example.com. Please provide a detailed list of your equipment. Tell us what you like or dislike about your setup, and fill us in on any special touches or challenges.