Connell McCarthy is a senior designer for Shopify by day and moonlights as a musician. His setup was built to handle both of these activities.
He works at a Strucktube table, by Tokyo Desk, which gives him a ton of space to work with. His monitor is the LG 32-inch FreeStyle IPS Monitor which gives him good screen quality without breaking the bank. The nerve center of his rig is a MacBook Pro.
McCarthy used to have the Magic Keyboard and Mouse combination but has since switched to the Logitech MX Vertical Mouse for its more ergonomic design.
For audio, this hobbyist is strapped for gear. He has a Yamaha HS5 Powered Studio Monitor. The HS series is Yamaha’s iconic speaker for a reason. When he is not blasting his Yamahas, he has a pair of the reliable Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Studio Headphones which are rapper Lil Dickey’s go-to headphones.
He uses the Rode NT-1 Microphone and the awesome 61-key Komplete Kontrol Keyboard to bang out some bangers. McCarthy uses the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 USB Audio Interface to handle all of his equipment.
Shop these items now:
- Strucktube Tokyo Desk ($439)
- LG 32MN500M-B 31.5-inch 16:9 FreeSync IPS Monitor ($197)
- Apple Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad ($119)
- Apple Magic Mouse 2 ($74)
- Grovemade Walnut Monitor Stand ($120)
- Pair of Yamaha Hs5 Powered Studio Monitor ($1,000)
- Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 8×6 USB Audio Interface ($300)
- Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Professional Studio Monitor Headphones ($149)
- Rode NT-1 Cardioid Condenser Microphone ($270)
- Native Instruments Komplete Konttol 61-key Keyboard ($279)
If you would like to see your setup featured on Cult of Mac, send some high-res pictures to [email protected]. Please provide a detailed list of your equipment. Tell us what you like or dislike about your setup, and fill us in on any special touches or challenges.