This week on The CultCast: Our reactions to Apple’s new hardware! Plus, we’ll tell you everything you need to know about Apple’s new Mac mini, MacBook Air, iPad Pro and Magic Keyboard.
Out thanks to Squarespace for supporting this episode. Easily create a beautiful website all by yourself, at Squarespace.com/cultcast, and use offer code CultCast at checkout for 10% off your first purchase.
#432 – Let’s talk about Apple’s new hardware!
On the show this week
This week’s stories
- Apple on Wednesday surprised us with a brand-new iPad Pro that packs a LiDAR Scanner, Ultra Wide camera, and studio-quality microphones. It’s powered by an improved A12Z Bionic chip that makes it faster than many laptops.
- Apple updated its MacBook Air lineup Wednesday with a re-designed scissor-switch Magic Keyboard, twice the storage, a reported two times faster CPU performance, and a lower price tag starting at $999.
- Apple announced Wednesday an update of its entire Mac mini line, offering double the SSD storage capacity at the regular price.
- Apple’s exciting new Magic Keyboard is going to make working on iPad Pro better than ever when the accessory debuts in May. It’s a huge improvement over the Smart Keyboard Folio in so many ways.
- Movies Anywhere combines films bought through iTunes, Google Play, etc. into one service. And now it’s testing a new feature called Screen Pass that enables loaning your movies to other people.
Now comes with double the storage capacity on the standard configurations.
$799 now gets you 256GB instead of 128GB, and $1099 gets you 512GB instead of 256GB.
Still using the same 6th-gen 4-year-old intel processor.
$100 price cut.
Standard storage has been doubled too.
You get 256GB for $999 now, and 512GB for $1299.
Features the same scissor-mech keyboard as the new 16-inch MBP.
Using Intel’s newest 10th gen chip, Quad Core 1.2GHz i7, Apple claims speeds are about twice as fast as previous gen. Probably cause last gen was dual-core.
GPU performance increase of up to 80%.
Now with triple lenses, kind of.
Still the same 11″ and 12.9″ sizes.
A12Z Bionic chip which supports a 8-core GPU.
Apple says this setup is faster than most PC laptops.
Apple says you can edit 4K videos with the iPad Pro.
Pro Motion 120hz display
Five-studio quality microphones, just like Apple packed into the 16-inch MBP
Now features a 10MP ultrawide camera
Also includes a 12PM main camera, which is probably the same one found in the iPhone 11/11 Pro
Brand new LiDAR so depth sensing. LiDAR is the same technology that self-driving cars use for depth sensing and object tracking. It’s what the Mars Rover uses too.
How will iPad Pro use it? Definitely for Virtual Reality, but who knows what else.
Now supports WiFi 6.
60% faster gigabit LTE for LTE models.
Size is about the same, but slightly thicker and heavier.
Price is the same, but now the base level of storage has been upgraded from 64GB to 128GB.
Upgrading to 256GB of storage is $50, so $1200 instead of $1250.
1TB is $1300 instead of $1350.
New Magic Keyboard
Coming in May.
Features passthrough charging to the iPad via its own USB-C port on the hinge.
Features a full-size Magic Keyboard with backlighting, scissor keyboard switches, and trackpad with multi-gesture support.
iOS 13.4 will feature cursor support. Works with both the older and new ipad 11″ Pro for $300.
Or $350 for the 12.9″ keyboard….