This week on The CultCast: From the hottest gift of 2019, to our favorite tech and travel locations, catch our picks for Best of the Year!
This episode supported by Squarespace
Easily create a beautiful website all by yourself, at Squarespace.com/cultcast. Use offer code “CultCast” at checkout to get 10% off your first purchase of a website or domain.
#419 – All the best stuff of 2019!
On the show this week
This week’s stories
- AirPods is has grown into a massive business. How big?
- Last year, in Q4 2018, Apple Watch surpassed $4B quarterly in revenue in, overtaking the revenue earned during the best quarter of peak iPod sales, and now it looks like it may be AirPods‘ turn.
- Asymco published a research note this week estimates that AirPods could overtake the peak iPod revenue of $4 billion next quarter.
- Asymco also believes Apple will see over 50% growth year over year for Wearables.
- The research note also predicts a 51% increase y/y for Wearables and 24% growth in Watch. This results in a Watch revenues of about $5.2 billion.
- Even though AirPods Pro are basically sold out everywhere, there’s still a chance you could snag a pair today. And with a simple Siri trick, Apple makes it easy for you to snag 2019’s hottest gift.
- If you absolutely want to get AirPods Pro by Christmas, and don’t want to pay a reseller a premium, here’s your best shot for finding a pair ASAP.
- Apple is teaming up with Amazon, Google, and the Zigbee Alliance to create a new open and royalty-free standard for smart home devices.
- Project “Connected Home over IP” aims to increase compatibility among smart home gadgets and make development easier for device manufacturers. It should also simplify smart technology for consumers
- This means it shouldn’t matter which smart home platform you’ve chosen to adopt; any and all smart home devices (in the future, at least) should work together seamlessly.