An iPhone user from South Carolina is suing Apple because he alleges that his handset exploded in his pocket two years ago.
The incident occurred in fall 2016, when concerns about lithium-ion batteries exploding were being widely reported — largely due to Samsung’s disastrous Note 7. The iPhone explosion supposedly injured the plaintiff enough that he had to be airlifted to a burn center in nearby Georgia.
Robert Portee, the man in question, claims that he was visiting his son’s house when he felt “extreme heat” and heard his clothes crackling. He had been charging his iPhone 6 and speaking on it just prior to the incident.
Portee seeks unspecified damages from Apple and from insurance company Asurion, which issued him the phone.
He received the iPhone 6 as a replacement after his previous handset sustained damage. The suit alleges that both companies should have known about the risk of battery problems. He also claims that iPhones should notify users if they are overheating.
The trouble with lithium-ion batteries
This isn’t the first time we have reported on an iPhone supposedly exploding. Earlier this year, an iPhone 6 was apparently recorded on a security camera exploding while in the shop for repair.
Unlike Samsung’s disastrous Note 7, however, Apple’s handsets have never been accused of having systemic battery problems. Nonetheless, swollen batteries are an issue with any device with a lithium-ion battery — and this obviously includes Apple.
We’ll keep you updated on this latest lawsuit.
Source: The Post and Courier