Man claims his iPhone caught fire in his pants


A look at Rocky's ruined iPhone 6 Plus.
Photo: Channel Two Action News

A man in Atlanta claims he was forced to strip in public after his iPhone 6 Plus caught fire while in the front pocket of his jeans.

“I mean, it was pretty humiliating having to take your pants off in a parking lot,” he told the local Channel Two Action News, asking them to withhold his identity, other than his first name of Rocky.

...And his jeans after the fire.
…And his jeans after the fire.
Photo: Channel Two Action News

Rocky says he was loading his car at Home Depot when he felt a burning sensation and then saw smoke billowing out of his jeans.

“When I saw the smoke, I undid my belt, I undid my pants,” he said. “I pushed it away, turned my head hoping it wouldn’t explode. It burned pretty much my whole front pocket, burned my boxers, started to burn my leg, but I had moved it away in time so it wouldn’t burn me.”

He escaped without suffering any injuries, and says that he is not seeking any compensation.

While this isn’t the first time we’ve heard about an Apple device bursting into flames unexpectedly, in this instance the fault may well be traced to a refurbishing company which re-sold the iPhone after it had had a previous owner. The refurbishing company sent Rocky a replacement, but he says he would still like to receive an apology from them.

Apple has also said it is investigating the strange occurrence.

Source: WSBTV


Daily round-ups or a weekly refresher, straight from Cult of Mac to your inbox.

  • The Weekender

    The week's best Apple news, reviews and how-tos from Cult of Mac, every Saturday morning. Our readers say: "Thank you guys for always posting cool stuff" -- Vaughn Nevins. "Very informative" -- Kenly Xavier.