After what seems like a lifetime of anticipation, Final Fantasy VI for iOS has finally touched down in the App Store.
Representing the FF series at its 2D peak, the game (which originally hit consoles back in 1994) takes place in an eye-popping Industrial Revolution-inspired world, as characters Terra and Locke battle to escape the clutches of an evil Empire.
“It is basically like a remake of the original VI,” Square-Enix’s Takashi Tokita explained when he originally broke the news that the game would be coming to smartphones — adding that, “there have been some enhancements.”
• Game data saved with iCloud can now be shared across devices! At home or away, on your iPhone or iPad, pick the play style that’s best for you.
• All graphics have been painstakingly recreated, bringing the world of Final Fantasy VI to your mobile device for the very first time! Kazuko Shibuya, one of the graphics designers involved in the Final Fantasy series from the very start, personally worked on the main characters and supervised the recreation of the game’s graphics.
• Square Enix’s vast experience in A-list smartphone RPG titles has been harnessed in implementing intuitive user-friendly controls that make the game easy to play on touch screens. The battle interface has received particular attention, with a complete overhaul for use on your smartphone.
• This smartphone release includes the new magicites and events that were introduced in the 2006 remake.
• Some events have been optimized to be played with user-friendly touch controls.
Final Fantasy VI is available to download from the App Store, priced $15.99.
It is compatible with all iOS 7 devices, although iPhone 4 users are advised that, “Certain in-game conditions may cause the app to close unexpectedly” and are recommended to save regularly.
- Source iTunes