Firefox 19 is now available to download to your Mac, introducing the long-awaited PDF viewer that will allow you to open PDF files within the browser — rather than downloading them to open them in Preview. The release hasn’t yet hit Mozilla’s website, but you can get your hands on it by visiting the company’s servers.
To download Firefox 19 now, click here to access Mozilla’s FTP server, and choose ‘Guest’ when prompted to sign in. Double-click on the ‘Mac’ folder, then find the folder for your language — within it you’ll find the Firefox 19 .dmg, which you can drag to your desktop. Once it’s copied over, you can install it.
If you’d prefer not to follow these steps, keep an eye on Mozilla’s website, where the download will become available sometime today.
In addition to the built-in PDF viewer, there are a whole host of fixes and improvements in this release. Here’s a list of changes from the beta release:
- NEW: Built-in PDF viewer.
- CHANGED: Canvas elements can export their content as an image blob using canvas.toBlob().
- CHANGED: Startup performance improvements (bugs 715402 and 756313).
- DEVELOPER: Debugger now supports pausing on exceptions and hiding non-enumerable properties.
- DEVELOPER: Remote Web Console is available for connecting to Firefox on Android or Firefox OS (experimental, set devtools.debugger.remote-enabled to true).
- DEVELOPER: There is now a Browser Debugger available for add-on and browser developers (experimental, set devtools.chrome.enabled to true).
- DEVELOPER: Web Console CSS links now open in the Style Editor.
- HTML5: CSS @page is now supported.
- HTML5: CSS viewport-percentage length units implemented (vh, vw, vmin and vmax).
- HTML5: CSS text-transform now supports full-width.
- FIXED: Starting Firefox with -private flag incorrectly claims you are not in Private Browsing mode
If you’re a diehard Firefox user — and you haven’t yet been tempted to switch to Chrome or Safari — then this update is sure to improve your web browsing experience. The update is also available to Windows and Linux users, too, and these releases can also be obtained via the FTP link above.