Aqara released its first deadbolt smart lock Friday, the Smart Lock U100. It’s fully compatible with Apple’s HomeKit and you can open it with Home Key, fingerprints, passwords or — get this — a physical key.
Snark aside (a physical if often provided with smart locks for power outages), the stout new lock integrates with the Matter home automation standard and could become a vital part of HomeKit users’ smart-home arsenals.
This post contains affiliate links. Cult of Mac may earn a commission when you use our links to buy items.
Aqara Smart Lock U100
Aqara’s new Smart Lock U100 integrates with the Matter standard and smart-home platforms like Apple Home, Amazon Alexa, Google Home and more, the company said.
The Smart Lock U100 works out-of-box with Bluetooth. That lets you connect the lock to the Aqara Home app for setup, control and firmware updates without the need for an Aqara hub.
Ready for a ‘keyless lifestyle?’
Although physical keys are provided just in case, like when you suffer a power outage, the new lock helps enable “a keyless lifestyle,” Aqara said.
You can unlock it with your fingerprint or the Aqara Home app. The lock’s reader recognizes up to 50 fingerprints, and those can include family, guests and regular visitors like dog walkers.
Sensitive data like fingerprints and passwords is stored on the device and fully AES encrypted.
Full integration with HomeKit
Not every smart lock offers full integration with Apple’s HomeKit out of the box, but this one does, Aqara noted:
Apart from unlocking with Siri and the Apple Home app, Apple users can use the Apple home key to unlock the U100 by simply tapping a compatible iPhone or Apple Watch. This feature is particularly handy when users have their hands full with groceries or wear gloves in the winter. Moreover, users can manage and share door access for their guests with Apple Home’s guest access codes.
But to unlock the U100’s full potential, Aqara recommends you create a connection with a Zigbee 3.0 Aqara hub:
Pairing the U100 with an Aqara hub allows users to remotely control and manage the lock, such as unlock/lock, manage password configuration, monitor real-time activity and device logs and keep an eye on their homes and families wherever they are. In addition, the Aqara hub connection enables the U100 to become compatible with the latest IoT standard Matter and other ecosystems such as Alexa, Google Home, IFTTT, and more, offering a seamless smart home experience.
Aqara listed a number of other features for its first deadbolt smart lock:
- A battery life of 8 months with 4 AA batteries.
- Hands-free lock control with voice assistants such as Alexa, Google Assistant and Siri.
- A built-in USB-C port allowing emergent charging with a power bank in the case of a battery power outage.
- Provided mechanical keys for unlocking in the emergency cases like power outages and electronic component malfunctions.
- A built-in gyroscope to sense the open/close status of the door so that the door will lock once closed.
- Do-Not-Disturb mode to mute the sound of the U100 lock, which is great for nights and new parents.
- Easy installation with standard deadbolt locks, requiring only a phillips-head screwdriver.
- IP65 rating of the Outer Panel, which also withstands extreme heat and cold, making it a great option for any climate.
Amazon noted the Aqara Smart Lock U100 is the No. 1 new release in its Tools and Home Improvement category.
Where to buy: Amazon