With the iPhone 14 series imminent, Anker rolled out its tiny new Nano 3 wall charger Tuesday along with an “industry-first” set of eco-friendly, bio-based charging cables.
The gallium nitride-based Nano 3 is even smaller than before and packs 30W of power. But the real headliner may be the two sizes of plant-based USB-C charging cables for USB-C and Lighting devices.
And you can get the charger and cables in a choice of fanciful matching colors and at 10% off for two weeks, Anker said.
This post contains affiliate links. Cult of Mac may earn a commission when you use our links to buy items.
Anker calls its plant-and-plastic charging cables an ‘industry first’
The two new charging cables for iPhones and other devices incorporate a proprietary mix of sustainable plant-based materials, like corn and sugarcane. That’s meant to reduce petroleum-based plastic usage, Anker said.
“As the global leader in mobile charging, it’s our responsibility to explore ways to reduce the e-waste impact our products and packaging have on the environment,” said Steven Yang, CEO of Anker Innovations. “These bio-based cables are just the first step, and we’re excited
to drive this eco-innovation for both our company and the consumer electronics industry, overall.”
‘Anker Eco Product’
Bearing a new “Anker Eco Product” logo, the bio-based cables are part of Anker’s eco-innovation effort to reduce petroleum-based plastic in product development.
The company said people worldwide use roughly 622 million charging cables. Making the cables uses about 43,000 tons of oil and roughly 9,000 tons of plastic — and those numbers are rising.
The outer sheath of Anker’s new bio-based cables is sustainably created using 40% plant-based materials like corn and sugarcane. This innovative, new cable cuts down on petroleum-based plastic usage, like thermoplastic elastomer (TPE), without sacrificing
quality, strength or durability, the company said.
The bio-based cables are just as strong as their plastic predecessors, able to withstand up to 20,000 bends. That durability keeps cables in use and out of landfills, Anker said.
- Each model is available in two sizes (3 ft/6ft).
- A variety of playful colors coordinate with Anker’s latest charging lineup, including the Nano 3 charger released Tuesday.
- Anker 541 USB-C to Lightning: Fast charging with MFi chips to enable a 30W charging speed — enough to charge an iPhone 13 up to 50% capacity in 30 minutes.
- Apple certified.
- Save more by bundling bio-based charging cables with new Nano 3 charger (white and purple only, cable is 6ft USB-C to Lighting, $37.99. The white bundle will be on promo for $34.19, September 16 – 19).
- Anker 543 USB-C to USB-C: Fast charging with E-Marker chips to enable a 100W charging speed — enough to charge a 16-inch MacBook Pro up to 38% capacity in 30 minutes.
Nano 3: 30W GaN charger
Anker said its new Nano 3 is more powerful and compact than the previous generation and 70% smaller than Apple’s original 30W charger. It comes in five color options with a convenient foldable plug.
A critical accessory since iPhones no longer come with chargers! They will retail for $22 (with an additional 10% off during first two weeks of availability).
- Efficiency: Supports a maximum 30W USB-C Output to charge Apple devices including iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Air and more.
- Fast charging: 3 times faster charging for iPhone vs. the original 5W charger, 20 mins faster
charging for iPad Air 5 vs. the original 20W charger.
- Safety: Anker’s exclusive ActiveShieldTM 2.0 technology enhances heat protection by intelligently monitoring temperature and adjusting power output to safeguard your connected devices. The sensor monitors temperature over 3 million times per day.
- Portability: Super-compact size with GaN tech. Foldable plug makes it 70% smaller than Apple’s original 30W charger.
- PPS Support: Equipped with PowerIQ 3.0 to deliver optimized charging to any mobile device, including phones, tablets, and laptops. Also supports Programmable Power Supply (PPS) for compatibility with Samsung Super Fast Charging.
- Size: 28.5mm x 28.5 mm x 35.5mm
- Weight: 39.5g