This week on Cult of Mac’s podcast: We’re taking a long look (and listen) at all the hottest new features coming in iOS 16, including the return of the battery percentage indicator. Some of the impending changes look (and sound) great. Others … not so much.
We want two big tweaks: a polished version of the battery percentage indicator, and an iPhone ping that doesn’t sound like garbage. (The existing one is great, and the proposed one is definitely not an upgrade.)
But, hey, there’s still time for Tim Cook’s team of tweakers to bring things up to snuff. In fact, somebody already did the heavy lifting for them on that battery icon (see below)!
Also on The CultCast
- Apple’s Mail app is about to add some incredibly useful features that, frankly, we can’t believe we waited this long to get.
- Apple Watch Series 8 might come with a temperature sensor, but just how accurate will it be?
- We’ve got a new giveaway, featuring a cool-looking Laut backpack.
- We’re anxiously awaiting the next version of the HomePod (and musing about what it might deliver).
Listen to this week’s episode of The CultCast in the Podcasts app or your favorite podcast app. (Be sure to subscribe and leave us a review if you like it!) Or watch the video livestream, embedded below.
Our sponsor: CultCloth
Get the only cleaning cloth you need: CultCloth!
The CultCast live-stream archive
This week’s top Apple news
Here are the headlines we’re talking about on this week’s show:
- iOS 16 beta 5: All the new features and changes
- Every new email trick in iOS 16 that you need to know
- ‘High-Accuracy’ Apple Watch Temperature Sensor Revealed by Patent Filing Just Weeks Before Series 8 Unveiling (MacRumors)
- Gurman: Apple Considering Updated HomePod Mini Alongside New High-End HomePod (MacRumors)
Weekly Cult of Mac giveaway
This week, Cult of Mac is giving away three City Daypack 12ltr Backpacks from Laut. These retail for $69.99, and include great features like a MacBook storage compartment, a hidden pocket and a luggage case strap.
To enter, just sign up for the Cult of Mac Today newsletter from our giveaway page. Cult of Mac Today is our free daily newsletter that gives you three to five of the top news stories of the day. You can get additional entries through the giveaway widget by visiting our Facebook and Twitter pages, etc.
As mentioned on the show
Here’s that great graphic showing Apple’s new battery percentage icon, along with several better-looking options:
Nothing wrong with what Apple released but I think I might’ve preferred something like Alternative A for the battery indicator pic.twitter.com/a44879RIFk
— Mikael Johansson (@michaelnevernot) August 10, 2022