Now that you’ve got the COVID-19 vaccine from Pfizer, Moderna or Johson & Johnson, how do you prove it?
Well, you can carry around your vaccination card just in case you need it to travel or gain entry to a gathering place, job or in-person event. Or you can take a few minutes and add a secure digital vaccine certificate, or passport, to Apple Wallet on your iPhone. We’ll show you how.
If it’s in Wallet on your iPhone, it’s always with you, and no need to worry about it falling apart over time. The paper card can be a backup.
It’s not the only digital vaccine passport service, but it’s an easy one to use. Another option would be Clear HealthPass+.
There is no universal vaccination digital certificate in the U.S., and so far only a few states we know of offer government-issued digital proof of vaccination involving identity verification. Those are New York’s Excelsior Pass, Louisiana’s LA Wallet, Colorado’s myVaccine Record and California’s Digital Covid-19 Vaccine Record.
In addition, several state health departments use MyIR Mobile to provide a digital copy of your vaccination card. Those are Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Dakota, Washington, West Virginia or Washington, D.C.
How to add a free VaxYes vaccine passport to Wallet
You can go through the VaxYes process on your computer or your iPhone. It’s easiest on iPhone, because that won’t require you to take the extra step of adding it to iPhone (although it’s about as easy as clicking on a text).
- Use a browser on your iPhone to go to gogetvax.com/vaxyes (search for VaxYes or just enter the URL).
- Click on the blue Get a Free Vaccine Passport button.
- When prompted, enter your cell phone number and activate the button next to “Can this phone accept SMS” so you can receive a text from VaxYes.
- Use your iPhone camera to take photos of your completed COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card and your ID card (or you can use your computer camera or webcam if you do this from your computer). VaxYes will upload them.
- When you get the verification text, follow the link and click Add to Wallet.
- That’s it. Now your vaccine certificate verifying you got the shot(s) will go wherever your iPhone goes.
VaxYes says it uses AES 256Bit encryption to make sure your personal information is secure in a HIPAA compliant environment.
This post published on August 10, 2021, and received updates on August 16 and August 25.