Garvin Ling is a Seattle-based coder whose setup was designed to handle some pretty heavy-duty stuff. The Samsung CJ89 43-inch UltraWide is an absolute mammoth of a monitor. It gives him a ton of screen real estate without sacrificing quality. He runs his setup off a MacBook Pro.
He has an Apple Magic Keyboard with the Numeric Keypad, which accompanies both a Logitech MX Master 2s and an Apple Magic Trackpad. This mouse-trackpad two-punch combination makes for easier and quicker coding and editing.
A multi-port adapter is a must-have if you are running a MacBook setup. Ling uses a Satechi Multi-Port Adapter V2, which has 3 USB-C ports, an ethernet port, a micro card reader, and a 4K HDMI port, all while connecting to his MacBook with just one cable. In the age of the dongle, this is the king of dongles.
In his spare time, Ling makes music. One of his quarantine goals was to produce an EDM remix, which he did with Dua Lipa’s New Rules. In order to make his mix, he used a M-Audio Code 49-key Keyboard. This, of course, is a 49-key keyboard, but it also has performance panels to create beats.
The Sony Noise Cancelling Headphones WH1000XM3 combined with a Creative Sound Blaster X3 DAC gives him crystal-clear sound quality. For external audio, Ling uses a Razer Nommo Chroma, which has to be one of the most over-engineered gaming speakers on the market.
In terms of stands, Ling demonstrates brand royalty. He uses a Lamicall Headphone Stand and a Lamicall iPhone Stand which he says are great for checking user interface changes at a “normal viewing angle.” He also has a Lamicall Laptop Stand for his MacBook. The height and angle of the stand work great with a standing desk.
As for the PC in the corner, he uses that for gaming and producing music.
Shop these items now:
- Samsung CJ89 43-inch Curved UltraWide ($1,099)
- Logitech MX Master 2S Wireless Mouse ($81)
- Apple Magic Trackpad 2 ($124)
- Apple Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad ($130 – $19 off right now)
- Sony Noise Cancelling Headphones WH1000XM3 ($278 – $72 off right now)
- Headphone Desktop Headset Holder ($12)
- Razer Nommo Chroma Speakers ($148)
- M-Audio Code 49-key Keyboard ($299)
- Creative 70SB181000000 Sound Blaster X3 Digital Audio Converter ($120)
- Lamicall Adjustable Cell Phone Stand ($14)
- Lamicall Headphone Desktop Headset Holder ($12)
- Lamicall Adjustable Laptop Stand ($63)
- Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance Kit ($90)
If you would like to see your setup featured on Cult of Mac, send some high-res pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide a detailed list of your equipment. Tell us what you like or dislike about your setup, and fill us in on any special touches or challenges.