Apple TV+ signs docuseries deal with McMillion$ filmmakers

By

lazarte.hernandez
Lazarte and Hernandez will produce a new docuseries for Apple TV+.
Photo: UTA

Apple TV+ has inked a deal for an as-yet-untitled four-part docuseries from the directors of the HBO series McMillion$.

Deadline reported Monday that the series will be produced by Brian Lazarte and James Lee Hernandez. 

The new show will tell the “unbelievable true story of one of the largest scams in government history,” according to the report, but gave no further details.

Sources told Deadline the deal was “highly competitive” with other services and ended with a cost to Apple in the seven-figure range.

The six-part docuseries McMillion$produced by Lazarte and Hernandez, premiered on HBO on February 3, as a detailed account of the McDonald’s Monopoly game scam during the 1990s as told by the participants in the case, including the prizewinners and the FBI agents involved.

Apple TV+ has previously aired four documentaries on its streaming service, including the Elephant Queen, Visible: Out on Television, Home, and Beastie Boys Story.