This week on The CultCast: A noted leaker says the September 10 Apple event will include a mythical “one more thing.” Plus: More leaks shine a light on next week’s iPhone announcements; a new turbocharged Apple TV is on the way; and Apple Watch will finally get a long-awaited feature.
Our thanks to Squarespace for supporting this episode. Easily create a beautiful website all by yourself, at Squarespace.com/cultcast. Use offer code CultCast at checkout to get 10% off your first purchase of a website or domain..
The CultCast Episode #404
#404 – Get ready for ONE MORE THING…
On the show this week:
This week’s Apple news
- A tipster who claims to work at a major carrier provided MacRumors with internal communication that suggests the rumored iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro models will be available to preorder on Friday, September 13, ahead of deliveries to customers and in-store availability starting Friday, September 20.
- iPhone XR will become “iPhone 11.” Apple will call the iPhone XS successor “iPhone 11 Pro,” and iPhone XS Max will become “iPhone 11 Pro.”
- The first Apple TV update in two years is reportedly coming soon. The updated Apple TV will supposedly be powered by the same chip that’s in the iPhone XS series, potentially making it a better way to play Apple Arcade games than its predecessors.
- The current Apple TV runs the A10X Fusion chip from several years ago. While it’s perfectly capable of handling a streaming video service, Apple Arcade games will undoubtedly benefit from the extra horsepower in the A12X chip.
- Apple continues to develop an augmented reality headset, according to code discovered in iOS 13. The mythical headset is apparently codenamed “garta.”
- Apple will introduce sleep tracking to Apple Watch, a new report claims.
- The new software-based feature reportedly will not require any additional hardware. It remains unclear whether Apple will limit sleep-tracking functionality to the (possibly) upcoming Apple Watch Series 5.