Nintendo’s first mobile game is officially dead

Nintendo’s first mobile game is officially dead

By

Nintendo Miitomo on iPhone
Miitomo is no more.
Photo: Nintendo

Miitomo, Nintendo’s first mobile game, is officially dead just two years after making its debut.

We were warned that the game was closing back in January, and now the few players who were still enjoying the game can no longer log in.

Miitomo wasn’t exactly the title we expected to see when Nintendo announced it would finally bring its games to mobile. But despite our disappointment, the game enjoyed early success, amassing 4 million downloads in under a month and $280,000 in revenue every week.

It seems, however, that this didn’t last long.

Miitomo gets the chop

Miitomo clearly wasn’t as big as Nintendo hoped it would be, and so it has been given the chop after little more than two years. Nintendo has thanked fans for playing the game, which was officially shutdown today.

“We want to thank you for enjoying Miitomo so much,” the Japanese company said. “Miitomo’s service has come to an end as of Wednesday 9th May 2018, 16:00 (JST). We’ve come a long way since the app was launched, and once again we want to thank everyone who’s been involved.”

“We hope to go on to even bigger and better things in the future with Nintendo, and we hope you’re there to share the fun.”

Mobile games are delivering for Nintendo

Nintendo has previously expressed its disappointment with the success of its other, more popular mobile games, including Super Mario Run. After more than 200 million downloads as of October 2017, the game still hadn’t reached “an acceptable profit point,” Nintendo said.

Fire Emblem Heroes, which employs a more traditional free-to-play mechanism that lets players enjoy the game as much as they like without in-app purchases, has been much more profitable. Future Nintendo titles, including the upcoming Mario Kart Tour, will follow the same formula.