iPhone 8 won't enter mass-production until months after launch

iPhone 8 won’t enter mass-production until months after launch


iPhone 8 facial recognition
We could be waiting a long time for iPhone 8.
Photo: Ste Smith/Cult of Mac

Want to be one of the first to get your hands on Apple’s big iPhone 8 upgrade this fall? Prepare yourself for disappointment.

According to a new report, the device won’t enter mass-production until months after its official unveiling, and only small quantities will be available at first.

China’s Economic Daily Newswhich cites sources in Apple’s supply chain, claims that the company will launch three news iPhone models this year — as previous rumors have promised — and not one of them has entered mass-production yet.

It’s thought the 4.7- and 5.5-inch LCD models, likely named iPhone 7s and iPhone 7s Plus, will enter mass-production in August — one to two months later than the production schedule of previous iPhones announced in September.

It won’t be until November or December until production of the iPhone 8 begins, the sources claim, and only small quantities of the device will be shipping initially.

“While there were previous reports indicating that volume production for new iPhone devices has commenced, yield rates at the two main ODMs, Foxconn Electronics and Pegatron, have not yet reached levels that warrant mass production,” adds Digitimes.

Foxconn is said to be responsible for the production of around 95 percent of iPhone 8 models, while Pegatron will manufacture the other 5 percent, plus around 65 percent of 4.7-inch iPhone 7s units. Wistron is expected to produce the vast majority of 5.5-inch devices.

It’s always best to take reports like this one with a pinch of salt; nothing is concrete until Apple confirms its launch plans this September. However, the number of reports that claim iPhone 8 will be delayed continues to escalate as we near its big unveiling.

Cult of Mac's Newsletters

Daily round-ups or a weekly refresher, straight from Cult of Mac to your inbox.

  • Weekender

    The week's best Apple news, reviews and how-tos from Cult of Mac, every Saturday morning. Our readers say: "Thank you guys for always posting cool stuff" -- Vaughn Nevins. "Very informative" -- Kenly Xavier.