This week on The CultCast: Early reviews show the new MacBook Pro is a video-editing powerhouse; Apple’s massive interest in augmented reality; rumors of a jet white iPhone; AirPods to finally start shipping; new dongle discounts; and, is Apple still developing an electric car?
This episode is supported by CultCloth, the best way to keep your iPhone 7, Apple Watch, Mac and iPad sparkling clean. Check them out at CultCloth.co and for a limited time save 20 percent with code JetBlack.
CultCast #257 – Apple augments reality! Subscribe on iTunes
Our Twitters, if you please
@bst3r / @erfon / @lkahney
Join us on Reddit to discuss episodes and vote on story topics for future episodes! TheCultCast.reddit.com
AirPods supposedly land in Apple stores next week
- According to one Apple fan, who spoke to an employee at Conrad, an Apple authorized reseller in Germany, AirPods will be delivered to stores next Friday, November 17.
MacBook Pro with Touch Bar moves one step closer to shipping
“Multiple reports collated by AppleInsider and other sources show that Apple is gearing up for the first wave of shipments of the 13- and 15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, in every configuration,” reports AppleInsider.
The first wave of shipments is expected to reach customers as early as November 11. Those who ordered before the shipping estimate slipped should expect to receive them by November 17, though some could be waiting until November 25.
New MacBook Pro has already outsold every other notebook in 2016
- The latest model generated over seven times the revenue that the 12-inch MacBook did during its April 2015 launch. The new model’s sales already equal 78 percent of all the revenue generated by the MacBook 12-inch since it became available, and has accumulated more revenue than any other laptop this year.
- Slice Intelligence found 40 percent of Apple laptop owners who purchased a MacBook in 2014 bought their next laptop with another brand. Dell and Asus computers were the most popular laptops for people who previously purchased a MacBook.
The truth about the 2016 MacBook Pro 13 (@JonnyLewisFilms)
- Jonathan Morris pits a spec’d out HP Specter to a 13-inch MacBook Pro in a video-editing showdown.
Apple Drops Prices on USB-C Adapters
In response to Mac outrage, Apple has dropped the price of its adapters (temporarily)
– USB-C to USB adapter – Was $19, now $9
– Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter – Was $49, now $29
– USB-C Digital AV multiport adapter — Was $69, now $49
– USB-C VGA multiport adapter – Was $69, now $49
– USB-C to Lightning cable (1 meter) – Was $25, now $19
– USB-C to Lightning cable (2 meter) — Was $35, now $29
– Apple has also introduced some significant price cuts to the 4K and 5K LG UltraFine Displays that were announced at its October 27 Mac event.
– The LG UltraFine 5K Display is now priced at $974, a $325 price cut from its original price of $1,299.95.
– The LG UltraFine 4K Display is now priced at $524, a $175 price cut from its original price of $699.95.
Apple Said to Be Considering Augmented Reality
- Noted Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has released a new report outlining why he believes Apple has shifted focus from the rumored Apple car project to augmented reality technology.