If you use Reddit and own an iPhone, chances are you’ve heard of Alien Blue. It’s considered the go-to client for Reddit on the iPhone and iPad, and up until now it didn’t have any real competition.
A new app called Ruby for Reddit is out, and it offers a load of features while adhering to a more minimalist, clean design.
Here’s what makes Ruby a great way to browse Reddit.
– Full screen mode
– Slide out sidebar
– Inline image support for the most popular image services
– Search for a subreddit, user, or the current stories
– View your subscribed subreddits with the swipe of your finger
– Subscribe and unsubscribe from subreddits
– Easily submit link and text stories
– View all comments for a story
– Add a comment to a story
– View your own comments, submitted, liked, disliked, hidden, and saved stories
– See other users’ comments and submitted stories
– Easily compose mail and view your inbox
– Infinitely load stories
– Ruby remembers which stories you have viewed, up voted, or down voted
Like Alien Blue, there’s a ‘pro’ mode that can be unlocked with a $1 in-app purchase (Alien Blue Pro costs a buck more). When you go pro, you have access to a dark mode for nighttime reading, 12 custom fonts, password protection, and more. iAds are also removed.
I really like this app, and the UI aesthetic looks very good in iOS 7. Check it out if you like browsing Reddit from your iOS devices.
Ruby for Reddit is available now in the App Store for free as a universal download.
- And who doesn’t? ↩