Galaxy on Fire 2 is perhaps the best-looking space game on iOS. With astronomical scenes that call to mind a portable Eve Online, Galaxy on Fire 2 is an action space shooter with RPG elements, such as upgraded ships and weaponry, questing systems, and the like. It’s even made the move to Mac OS X.
It’s been a couple of months since FishLabs, the developers behind the title, released a teaser trailer and a vague September timeline for a release date for the upcoming downloadable content (DLC) expansion, Supernova. Well, that date is actually here, as Supernova is available on both the iTunes and Mac App Stores, for iOS and Mac OS X, respectively.
The second expansion for the Galaxy on Fire 2 game, Supernova involves a galaxy-spanning stellar event that threatens an entire sector of aliens and humans alike. Protagonist Keith T Maxwell is involved in helping refugees and acting as a diplomat in the increasingly tense border skirmishes as the supernova wreaks havoc across the star scape.
The add-on has 10 hours of gaming on offer, with dozens of new characters, missions, space ships, star systems, and weaponry. The Supernova expansion is purchased in-app for $6.99 on iOS and $14.99 on OS X. The Mac version of Galaxy on Fire 2 is available in the Mac App Store for $19.99.
The expansion is available in-app to owners of Galaxy on Fire 2 in all its iterations, from the $4.99 universal Galaxy on Fire 2 app for iPad, iPhone 3GS, and 3rd generation iPod touch, to the similarly priced universal Galaxy on Fire 2 HD app, which optimizes the experience for the iPhone 4S, iPod touch 5th generation, and iPad 2 and up.
As you can see in the video below, the game is gorgeous, and the add-on promises to be just as visually stunning.
The list of new features in the expansion follows:
• An epic new storyline with more than 10 hours of action-packed sci-fi gameplay
• Eight new spaceships (incl. Most Wanted Ships)
• Dozens of new weapons, power-ups and commodities (incl. cluster missiles and gamma shields)
• New mission types and gameplay modes (e.g. bounty hunting, plasma collecting, hacking)
• Seven new star systems (incl. the spectacular Supernova systems)
• New capital ships and structures (e.g. Vossk Battlecruiser and Mido Mining Plant)