Apple has defied orders to unlock the iPhone 5c for the FBI. But they’ve just been given a little more time to change their mind.
In December 2015, Syed Rizwan Farook shot up an office party in an apparent terrorist attack in San Bernardino, California. He may have coordinated the attack on an iPhone 5c.
Since then, authorities have been trying to decrypt the device. And yesterday, a U.S. magistrate is trying to force Apple to unlock it, resulting in Tim Cook himself posting an open letter on Apple’s website, saying they intended on fighting the order tooth-and-nail.
Apple may well still do that. But according to Bloomberg, the U.S. magistrate who originally told Apple to comply is giving them a little more time. Bloomberg says:
The company’s response in court will be due Feb. 26 instead of Tuesday, said two people familiar with the timeline, who asked not to be identified because the matter wasn’t public. The federal magistrate who on Feb. 16 granted the Justice Department’s request for an order forcing Apple to help the FBI had given the company five business days to oppose her order.
Will this change anything? Probably not. But Apple will have a little more time before it finds itself in contempt of court.