PopCap’s highly anticipated sequel to mega-hit Plants vs Zombies has hit some rough patches lately as the launch date has been pushed back to later this summer. But if you can’t wait a second longer we have good news – you can download the new game right now.
Rather than unleashing Plants vs Zombies 2 on the world all at once, PopCap has decided to do a soft-launch in Australia and New Zealand today to test things out. Which is a bummer for iOS users in the U.S. except it’s really easy to get the new game anyway.
To download the app you’ll have to create an Apple ID for the New Zealand or Australian App Store. Normally, iTunes requires new users to provide a credit card from that country to verify you actually live there, but there’s a workaround.
Here’s how to download Plants vs Zombies 2 if you don’t live in Australian or New Zealand:
1. Open iTunes and go to the iTunes Store
2. Sign out of your current account
3. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on your country map in the right corner
4. Select “Australia” as your country.
5. Open this link in iTunes for Plants vs. Zombies 2
6. Click to download the free app and you’ll be prompted to sign in with your Apple ID
7. Choose to create a new account rather than signing into with your usual Apple ID
8. Fill out the email and security info forms and hit continue
9. For payment method select “None” (see screenshot below)
(Note: the option to choose None only appears when attempting to download a free app, so make sure you follow all the steps closely).
10. Fill in the rest of the fields with bogus info.
11. Verify your account via email.
12. Once your account has been verified you can go to Settings>>iTunes & App Store>>Apple ID>> Sign Out and then log in with your new Australian Apple ID
13. Now you can finally download Plants vs. Zombies 2 or any other AUS only apps.
14. Sign out of your account and back into your U.S. Apple ID.
iOS 7 beta testers beware, Plants vs. Zombies 2 is only supported up to iOS 6 at this time.