Games Workshop announced today a Space Hulk game for Mac, iOS, and (yes) PC. It’s scheduled for release in 2013, and is based on the Warhammer 40,000 franchise board game of the same name. The current digital version is planned to be a 3D turn-based strategy game with both single player and co-op modes of play, not to mention cross-platform multiplayer across iOS, Mac, and PC.
The original board game was first released in 1989 and was subsequently re-released in 2009. A Space Hulk, for the curious, is a massive derelict hunk of space debris, like starships, asteroids, and the like. This stuff accretes together, making a small moon-sized astronomical object which can contain scary aliens or enticing treasures. Oh, and it might slip away through a dimensional time warp at any moment, so teams of Space Marines need to get in–and get out–super quick. Essentially, this is a sci-fi storytelling machine.
In the current digital iteration of Space Hulk, you’ll get to be one of those squads of Space Marines going into a Space Hulk to fight off the alien Genestealers (they are what their name implies) throughout the corridors the mass of debris. Which, you know, sounds like TONS of fun, especially if it’s not real.
Features of this fine addition to the Warhammer 40K universe include:
- Blood Angel terminator squad
- Fearsome Genestealers with challenging AI
- Thematic 3d environment
- Single player campaign based on the “Sin of Damnation” hulk
- New co-op multiplayer levels against the Genestealer AI
- Multiplayer head-to-head recreating the board game experience against a friend
- Cross platform multiplayer between PC, Mac and iOS
- Level editor with ability to share creations
- Game expansions in the future as DLC