Mall of America happens to have both an Apple Store and a Microsoft Store under one roof. In fact, they’re right across the hall from each other, so it’s a great place to gauge how enthusiastic people are for both brands.
On Black Friday, Gene Munster and his team of analyst from Piper Jaffray spend eight hours counting heads at the Apple Store. They also spend two hours monitoring the Microsoft Store and found that Microsoft didn’t sell a single Microsoft Surface tablet.
Here are some other facts that Munster observed:
- There was 47% less foot traffic at the Microsoft Store than the Apple Store
- Shoppers bought 17.2 items per hour at Apple and only 3.5 items per hour at Microsoft.
- Two out of every 3.5 purchases at the Microsoft Store were just Xbox games
- The Apple Store sold 11 iPads per hour.
- Microsoft sold zero Microsoft Surface tablets
Munster’s team also concluded that sales of Macs and iPads appear to be down from their levels in 2011, which many believe can be attributed to supply issues. Overall store traffic for Apple is up 31% compared to last year.
- Source Fortune