In a surprisingly quick judgement, the jury in the Apple-Samsung trial found Samsung infringed several of Apple’s patents and awarded the Cupertino company more than $1 Billion in damages.
Here are the decisions:
– On the question of patents on the bounce-back technology featured in Galaxy line of smartphones immediately following the launch of the iPhone, Samsung is liable.
– On the question of pinch-and-zoom technologies, mostly based on one-and-two fingered control, the jury finds Samsung is guilty. Not all of the phones and tablets have been tagged as liable but many of them. (The damage figures could be huge.)
– On the question of tap and zoom technologies, Samsung is guilty. There are fewer devices dinged.
– Jury finds Samsung should have known that its divisions were enabling infringement actions.
– Jury finds Samsung DID NOT infringe iPad patents. That’s one on the column for Samsung.
– On the question of UI, mostly based on the iconography of the front screen of the iPhone, the jury finds Samsung guilty.
– This might be the biggest one so far: On the question of willfulness on most of the infringement of patents, the jury finds Samsung guilty as well.
– The jury ultimately upholds most of Apple’s patents. Samsung is barred by “patent exhaustion” from using patents 516 and 941. In the original instruction form Apple denied “infringed claims asserted by Samsung” and argued claims asserted by Samsung were invalid. The jury agreed.
– The jury decides against awarding Samsung any damages. Zero.
– The jury finds Samsung did not break Apple’s anti-trust exception.
– After reviewing the verdict, Judge Koh noted discrepancies that wrongly gave Apple more money than it deserved. The first is a judgement on the Galaxy Tab. There was no infringement for the Tab patent but the jury had given more than $200,000 in damages. A second problem involved a trade dress judgement, which involves more than 2M dollars. Considering the judgement leveled more than a Billion dollars upon Samsung, a 2M dollar saving is strictly irrelevant.
The final damage amount is $1,049,343,540.
DAMAGES AWARDED TO APPLE PER PHONE
Samsung Prevail: $57,000,000.00
Samsung Infused: $44,792,974.00
Samsung Replenish: $3,350,256.00… more to come.
The jury has reached a verdict in the Apple-Samsung trial and we’ll update with comments from reactions from tech luminaries from around the web.