Anyone taken a look at the price of a professional photo editing software package, lately? Yeah, we dare you.
Redditor jayfehr noticed that Apple design award winner Pixelmator is currently on the Mac App Store for a quarter of it’s regular ($60) price, coming in at a nice $14.99 for this fairly beautiful looking Mac OS X image editing and paint program.
Pixelmator promises speedy and powerful tools to enhance and touch up photos, draw or paint new images, and add over 150 filters and special effects to all your images. Once you’ve created that masterpiece or edited that special photo, you can send them to iPhoto or Aperture on your Mac, or you can share via Facebook, Flickr, Picasa, and email.
The latest version of Pixelmator comes with support for OS X Lion features including Versions, Full Screen, and Auto Save, so you’ll never have to worry about lost hours of photo editing again.
A short list of features:
• Paint with Pixelmator as you would on canvas
• Use different brush sizes, shapes, hardness and blending modes
• Pre-drawn shape tools allow quickly adding lines, circles, rectangles, polygons and stars into your compositions
• Correct wrinkles and repair scratches
• Make flaws vanish from your photos, or improve compositions
• Remove unwanted objects seamlessly from their backgrounds
• Blur, sharpen, lighten or darken specific areas
• Get rid of the red eye effect with just one click
• Over 150 real-time filters and special effects
• Adjust exposure, hue, saturation, shadows and highlights, brightness, contrast and much more
• Dramatically improve less-than-perfect images with one click
• Open and save Photoshop images with layers
• Optimize and save images for use on your web pages, blogs, photo albums and more
As you can see, there’s a host of things Pixelmator can do, replicating the functionality of much more expensive software like Photoshop or Fireworks. While pros will certainly favor the higher end software, for the average consumer, this one looks like a winner, especially at the current price.