I’m sure many of you have been waiting for Canon’s replacement to their highly praised and super popular pro DSLR, the 5D Mark II. Friends, your wait ends tonight.
They can’t hide it any longer; the dam is starting to leak and is ready to burst. Canon Rumors has leaked multiple photos of event setup in Shanghai, Paris, and Singapore, and now we’re seeing photos of the Mark III itself along with various specs and other details. Expect the Mark III to be announced tonight while you snooze at these events all over the world. It should also be available for preorder tomorrow.
For those not in the know, the Mark II was a photo and video creating powerhouse that became a staple in the independent film maker community. But the Mark II was released in November of 2009, and after Nikon unveiled its new full frame 36 megapixel D800 in February, many have been watching to see when Canon would reply with their updated 5D.
Notable Specs (update: these specs are now confirmed):
- Body-only price of about $3500
- 22.3 Megapixel Full Frame CMOS sensor
- DiG!C 5+ Image Processor
- ISO 100-25600 (expandable to L:50 H1:51200, H2: 102400
- Full HD Movie (ISO 100-12800 (H:25600)
- 61-point high-density reticular AF (up to 41 crosstype points)
- 6.0 fps for high continuous shooting
- Intelligent viewfinder with approx. 100% coverage
- 3.2-type, approx.1.04m dot (3:2 wide) Clear View LCD II
- iFCL metering with 63-zone dual-layer sensor
- Shutter durability of 150,000 cycles
- Silent & low vibration modes
- Dual card slots (CF & SD)
- High Dynamic Range (HDR) Mode
- Multiple Exposures
- Improved durability & water and dust resistance
See more specs and photos over at Canon Rumors.
Also announced tonight is a new top-o-the-line flash, the Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT; the ST-E3-RT, a new Canon-made speedlight radio trigger (radio!); the WFT-E7 wireless transmitter; and the new GP-E2 GPS receiver.