TomTom’s navigation apps for the iPhone and iPad are going social with Facebook and Twitter integration that will allow you to navigate to your friends, places, and events more easily. Version 1.10 of the official app, which will launch during Q1 2012, prides itself on using social networks as a source for turn-by-turn navigation.
TomTom is unveiling the update at CES in Las Vegas this week — alongside its new lineup of portable navigation devices for North America — and claims it will be the first service to use social networks as a source for navigation.
With the update installed, the TomTom app on your iOS device will automatically plan routes based on information from Facebook and Twitter. What’s more, it will allow you to share your destination and arrival time via these networks, and via email or text message.
Corinne Vigreux, Managing Director Consumer at TomTom, says the new features in TomTom 1.10 will make it even easier for you to get to where you want to go:
According to recent studies, the vast majority of iPhone users use Facebook on their iPhone. By integrating Facebook features into our TomTom App we make navigating to places, events and seeing friends even easier.
If you already own the TomTom U.S. & Canada app, the version 1.10 update will be completely free to download when it launches. If you don’t already have it, you can grab it in the App Store now for $49.99.
TomTom’s full press release is below:
Las Vegas, Consumer Electronics Show, January 10 2012 – TomTom today previews the latest version (v1.10) of the TomTom App for iPhone and iPad. The new version integrates TomTom navigation with Facebook™ and Twitter™ allowing users to navigate to friends, places and events more easily. Customers who already have the App will be able to download the new features for free.
The TomTom App for iPhone and iPad will be the first to use social networks as a source for turn-by-turn navigation. It can automatically plan routes based on information from Facebook events, places and friends. Drivers can also use the App to share their destination and arrival time on Twitter, Facebook, by email and SMS text.
“According to recent studies, the vast majority of iPhone users use Facebook on their iPhone” says Corinne Vigreux, Managing Director Consumer at TomTom. “By integrating Facebook features into our TomTom App we make navigating to places, events and seeing friends even easier.”
The new TomTom App will be available within Q1 2012.
Notes for editors
Images of the latest App are available at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/OfficialTomTom
New to version 1.10 of the TomTom App for iPhone and iPad:
- Uses Facebook places, events and friends as a source of turn-by-turn navigation.
- Enables drivers to share their destination and arrival time on Twitter, Facebook, by email and SMS text.
The TomTom App for iPhone/iPad already offers drivers:
- The latest, most accurate maps available – with no need for a mobile signal or data plan.
- Free daily map changes from the TomTom community through Map Share.
- Reliable arrival times at all times of day with IQ Routes.
- The quickest routes through traffic, with more coverage and more updates than any other provider. Powered by HD Traffic.
- Real-time camera alerts via TomTom Speed Cameras.
- A powerful search with Google™ and Facebook.
- Clear turn-by-turn guidance while on the phone thanks to iOS Multitasking support.
- Seamless integration with contacts, photos, music, email and calendar.