The release candidate for iOS 14.7 was seeded to developers on Tuesday. It includes some promised improvements to the Apple Card, and it enables users to use a just-announced MagSafe Battery Pack. In addition, it allows users to manage timers on a HomePod.
Plus, the macOS Big Sur 11.5 release candidate, iPadOS 14.7 RC, watchOS 7.6 RC and tvOS 14.7 RC were also made available for developers.
“Release Candidate” is Apple’s new name for what used to be called a “Golden Master.” It’s the final beta version sent out early for testing, before the general public get access. It’s a sign that iOS 14.7, macOS Big Sur 11.5, etc. are likely to be available in a week or less.
What’s new for iPhone in iOS 14.7
iOS 14.7 will add new features for Apple Card Family, which allows a family to share the credit card. When available to the general public, two cardholders will be able to combine their credit limits and share one co-owned account.
And iOS 14.7 is required to use Apple’s new MagSafe Battery Pack. This only applies to the iPhone 12 series, of course, maps these are the only MagSafe-compatible handsets.
And the new version will let users manage timers on a HomePod smart speaker.
Not for everyone
Currently, the release candidates for iOS 14.7, macOS Monterey, etc. release candidates are only for developers. But if Apple follows its previous habits, public beta versions will be along. In the mean time, getting access to these pre-release editions requires joining the Apple Developer Program, which costs $99 a year.
iOS 14.7 release notes
While iOS 14.7 is still only a release candidate, it’s release notes are already available.
iOS 14.7 includes the following improvements and bug fixes for your iPhone:
- MagSafe Battery Pack support for iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max
- Apple Card Family adds the option to combine credit limits and share one co-owned account with an existing Apple Card user
- Home app adds the ability to manage timers on HomePod
- Air quality information is now available in Weather and Maps for Canada, France, Italy, Netherlands, South Korea, and Spain
- Podcasts library allows you to choose to see all shows or only followed shows
- Share playlist menu option missing in Apple Music
- Dolby Atmos and Apple Music lossless audio playback may unexpectedly stop
- Battery service message that may have disappeared after reboot on some iPhone 11 models is restored
- Braille displays could show invalid information while composing Mail messages