This week on The CultCast: Why Apple’s making an iPhone Pro, a tech-packed cutting-edge phone that will showcase what Cupertino is capable of. Plus: Genius Bar jackpot! (Or, why Apple sometimes replaces your old, broken gear for a brand new model.) And stick around for a super-powerful electric long board, a HomeKit-enabled ceiling fan, and a pro-level keyboard case for your iPad Pro in an all-new Under Review.
Our thanks to Squarespace for supporting this episode. It’s simple to accept Apple Pay and sell your wares with your very own Squarespace.com website. Enter offer code “CultCast” at checkout to get 10 percent off any hosting plan.
The CultCast episode info
CultCast #293 – Why Apple’s making an iPhone Pro
Subscribe on iTunes
Our Twitters, if you please
@erfon / @lkahney / @lewiswallace
Join us on Reddit to discuss episodes and vote on story topics for future episodes! TheCultCast.reddit.com
This week’s links
Why Apple sometimes gives brand new products for your old broken one (connected podcast)
- Have you or a friend ever taken an old product into the Genius Bar, and had them replace that product with a brand new version? Isn’t it great when that happens?
- Well it turns out it’s likely not cause Apple’s so nice.
- When Apple develops a new product, they can’t test for everything.
- When a problem surfaces, Apple may initiate what they call a “Field capture period”
- During this time, if Apple is investigating a problem with a product, and you bring in a product that exhibits the symptoms of that problem, they’ll give you a new piece of hardware, then send your device back to Cupertino to dissasemble and investigate.
- Certain kinds of sunscreens dissolving glue in Apple watch backs, causing the back to come off.