Olivia Retter purchased a New Look iPhone case for her iPhone 5c. Sadly, the permanent scar the 9-year-old girl got from it wasn’t quite the “new look” she was going for.
The Daily Mail shares the gory details of how this little girl’s simple iPhone case ended up resulting in a permanent chemical burn:
The decorative protective covering nine-year-old Olivia Retter used to guard her phone burst open while she was fast asleep in bed.
Bought at New Look, the plastic backing was similar to snow globe, containing a thick liquid that allowed glitter sparkles and unicorn and rainbow shapes to move around when shaken.
The decorative protective covering nine-year-old Olivia Retter… used to guard her phone burst open while she was fast asleep in bed
The chemical transferred onto the young girl’s leg – burning the shape of the phone into her skin as she slept
The iPhone case cost £5.99, or about $8.66. According to Olivia’s mother, no safety warning was displayed on the case, but despite this, doctors have told her that the “severe chemical burn” will scar Olivia’s leg for life.
New Look says it’s investigating the claims, but even so, they’ve told stores to stop selling the cases immediately.
Worried about this happening to you? This is exactly why Apple certifies iPhone cases. Don’t go cheap: Buy something with Apple’s seal of approval on it.
Source: The Daily Mail
Via: App Advice