iPhone Chargers Are Electrocuting People In China



iPhone chargers are dropping bodies all over China this week. Following an incident earlier this week in which a Chinese woman was electrocuted using a third-party charger, a 30-year old Chinese man has been put into a coma for ten days after plugging in his iPhone.

The Beijing Evening News is reporting that the man’s name is Wu Jiantong, and that he was “suddenly shocked” while plugging in his iPhone 4, presumably to a third-party charger. Wu apparently shouted “I’m being shocked!” before collapsing. His sister rushed into the room to help him, and unplugged the iPhone, and she felt “need-like pains” in her fingertips consistent with electrocution.

There’s a couple common elements in these cases. Both victims were believed to be using third-party chargers, and they were also using iPhone 4’s, which are more prone to electric conductivity because they use stainless steel in the frame instead of aluminum.

On Apple’s part, they have already said they will assist in the investigation about these incidents, but frankly, it doesn’t sound like it’s on Cupertino: sounds like a rogue knock-off accessory maker is to0 blame here.

Source: Beijing Evening News


Daily round-ups or a weekly refresher, straight from Cult of Mac to your inbox.

  • The Weekender

    The week's best Apple news, reviews and how-tos from Cult of Mac, every Saturday morning. Our readers say: "Thank you guys for always posting cool stuff" -- Vaughn Nevins. "Very informative" -- Kenly Xavier.