Olympus has revived its classic OM SLR film camera series this week, with the brand new Olympus OM-D EM-5, the first in a series of OM Digital Micro Four Thirds cameras, and the world’s first camera to offer 5-axis image stabilization.
Aimed at advanced photographers, the EM-5 boasts a built-in electronic viewfinder and a rugged dust- and splash-proof body. Olympus promises you’ll also get superior image quality and blazing fast speeds.
The EM-5 attempts to restore the wonderful design of the original OM Series — which was introduced 40 years ago — and bring to the modern age, with modern specifications and breakthrough innovations. It combines the features found in an Olympus E-System DSLR with those in the PEN series to provide a camera for professional photographers who require the best performance in a portable shooter.
It’s the first interchangeable-lens camera from Olympus that offers a high-definition electronic viewfinder with a 120-fps refresh rate. The built-in eye sensor seamlessly switches your view between the 3-inch touchscreen OLED display and the electronic viewfinder.
The EM-5 uses a new 16.1 megapixel high-speed live MOS sensor to provide superior image quality and speed. Combined with Olympus’ TruePic VI image-processing engine, it also improves image quality dramatically in low-light settings.
The EM-5’s other features include:
- A built-in 120-fps (frames-per-second) refresh rate, high-resolution electronic viewfinder (EVF) with outstanding image quality, eye detect and intuitive functionality that enables real-time viewing of shooting conditions
- A 16.1-megapixel Live MOS Sensor and TruePic™ VI image-processing engine for superior image quality and high sensitivity
- The world’s first*1 5-axis image stabilizer to compensate for multi-directional camera shake during both still photography and HD moviemaking
- The world’s fastest*2 autofocusing system (FAST AF) plus new 3D AF tracking for improved performance following moving subjects at up to 9 frames-per-second
- A lightweight magnesium alloy body that is enhanced with the same dustproof and splashproof durability of the Olympus E-5 DSLR
- A tilting 3.0-inch touch screen OLED and new Movie Effects: One Shot Echo, for a semi-transparent frame at your whim and Multi Echo, for a multi-motion trail effect.
The Olympus EM-5 will be available in April in the U.S. with an estimated retail price (body only) of $999.99.Related